Faro Airport Buses
There are only two bus services operating from the airport, Line 14 and Line 16, both of which run between Faro city and Praia de Faro (Faro Beach). Line 14 is a much less frequent service. As the buses stop on the way to Faro and on the return to Praia de Faro, make sure you catch the one going in the right direction for you.
The bus stops are outside the arrivals hall, just opposite the taxi rank, and are well signposted. Tickets are purchased from the driver on the bus.
The journey time from the airport to the city is fifteen to twenty minutes, depending on the traffic, and a single ticket costs €2.25 for both lines.
- Line 16 - This runs from the airport to Faro between 05:20 to 00:10 at intervals between 30 and 60 minutes. From Faro to the airport, this runs from 05:00 to midnight at intervals between 30 and 60 minutes. The service varies on Sundays and holidays. For the full timetable click here.
- Line 14 - This runs from the airport to Faro from 07:45 to 20:20. From Faro to the airport, this runs from 07:00 to 17:00. The service varies on Sundays and holidays. There are 4 buses on weekdays and 2 buses on weekends. For the full timetable click here.
The bus operator is Proximo and the contact details are:
- Telephone – (+351) 289 899 700
- Email - email@example.com
To get from Faro to other destinations in the Algarve and beyond, you can travel on the interurban or intercity buses or the train. In general, to go to coastal areas to the east of Faro, the train is the best option and for resorts to the west, the bus is preferable. Lagos is the one exception, as the train is more convenient. Where you have a choice, the train is cheaper and more comfortable.
The interurban and intercity buses are operated by EVA and serve all resorts along the southern coast of Portugal. The EVA bus station is next to the Proxima open-air bus station in the city. When you are boarding at a bus station tickets must be purchased at the ticket office. You cannot buy tickets on the bus so allow extra time for queueing at the office, especially at Faro.
For reservations inquiries for the Algarve, contact:
- Telephone - (+351) 289 589 055 / 289 513 616
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website - http://eva-bus.com/index.php?lang=uk
For Faro information and ticketing inquiries, contact.
- Telephone - (+351) 289 899 760
Trains from Faro
The line 16 bus from the airport stops at the Faro train station, which is also only a short walk from the bus station.
Trains run east and west from Faro. However, for travel to the resorts to the west, the stations are outside the resorts, apart from Lagos, so you would need to get a taxi from the station. For example, for Albufeira, the train station is in Ferreiras, which is over 5 km away.
For full details on timetables and fares visit the CP website.
It is worth bearing in mind that, as well as being less convenient, the trains and interurban buses stop running at around 20:30 at the latest. This means that, if your flight arrives in the evening you will need to make alternative arrangements for your onward travel such as a private transfer. There is more information on private transfers here.